Home Extension Builders South Ayrshire
Kitchen Area? Spare Bedroom? Extra Living Space? Let us bring your idea to life!
Contact us to arrange a free plan & design
House Extension Ayr & South Ayrshire
House extension means what its title suggests, you can extend your house up, sideways and out to build the perfect house that you have always wanted without moving and building a new house from scratch. If you ever want to build a garage, porch or just make your kitchen bigger without the nuisance of buying a whole new house then house extension is the way to go. It is also economically much more profitable as you cut down a lot of costs associated with buying a whole new house. The type and extend of house extension depends on your budget and the location of your house.
House Extension Installed in Ayr, South Ayrshire
Kitchen area and extra living space area extension
Benefits of house extension
House extension can make you feel like you are living in a brand new house by utilizing all of its space to give you the house that you always dreamed of. Another obvious advantage of house extension is that you can increase the value of the property by proper extension. With a proper plan, you can maximize the space and function of the house which ultimately raises its market value. It is also important to consider the overall design of the house while planning a house extension. House extension that matches the overall design or even elevates the existing design can make your house worth more.
House extension can make you save a lot of money as it cuts cost on deposits, stamp duty and expense for the movers. There are also other expenses like paying the real estate agent which is cut down. You can enjoy the same neighborhood that you have settled in with while saving you a lot of time that you will invest in when you have decided to move to a newer place.
House extension ideas
There are many ways in which you can extend your house while adding value and charm to the existing design, that too on a budget.
- A two-story extension: double-story extension is a great way to reduce the cost and get more space as you get more square footage for your money than a single-story extension. You can get more living and sleep space with a double-story extension, not to mention the garden and outdoor space that is saved.
- Kitchen extension: Generally, the kitchen is the place where we spend most of our time cooking, eating and lounging, so a spacious and comfortable kitchen can transform your house completely. A contemporary kitchen can add much value to your house. Having enough storage space and a fresh look is always preferred.
- A conservatory: a conservatory extension is a great way to bring in lots of natural light. It can be used as an office room, living room or a library where you can just relax and enjoy the view with your family and friends.
- Outdoor house extension: if you are a big fan of nature and sunlight, an outdoor garden room extension is a way to go. A veranda or loggia is perfect for this. A covered outdoor extension can also be done to protect you from the warm climates.
- A new bedroom or bathroom: Adding more bathrooms and bedrooms can only increase the value of your property.
Home Extension in Ayr, South Ayrshire
Luxury kitchen extension and sunroom area
Types of house extension
- Single- story extension: single-story extension is a great way to increase the living space in your downstairs area. You can add space to your kitchen where it can also function as a dining area. An additional bathroom or bedroom can be set up in your house. You can also use the single-story extension to create a cloakroom or a utility room.
- Multi-story extension: extending your house both upstairs and downstairs is a good strategy to increase space and value to your house. A multi-story extension that matches the overall vibe and feel of the house can both enhance and add value to your residence.
- Porches: porches are commonly projected in front of the house as an entry passage. It is outside the walls of the house and more notably doesn’t require planning permissions.
- Garages: garages conversion extensions are typically a single-story extension made attached typically to the front of the house. Vehicles are usually parked here and it can also be used as a storage space.
- Basement: basements are built either partially or completely below the ground floor. The basement is used as a storage space or a hangout area but due to the expense of building a big house with lots of bedrooms, nowadays, the basement is also used as a sleeping space.
- Loft conversion: loft conversion or attic conversion is an excellent way to utilise the existing structure of the house. You can transform the empty attic into a gym, a storage area, an office room or even a bedroom. This is becoming an increasingly popular choice due to the less expense associated with it when compared to a double-story extension. Normally, you don’t need planning permission to convert your loft but if you live in a designated area or listed building you will have to get it. Building regulations should also be followed.
Bungalow Extension and Loft Conversion in Bearsden, Glasgow
Please see the gallery above which showcases a bungalow extension and loft conversion we installed in Bearsden, East Dunbartonshire last year. (2019)
This conversion comprises of a rear extension, internal alterations to the house with a full conversion of the loft. This new loft section of the home now extends above the new extension part, plus dormers.
On the ground floor extension, we designed and fitted an open plan kitchen dining room with a utility area and a bedroom which includes a large fitted walk-in wardrobe.
For the upstairs which is now the new loft conversion area we installed 3 bedrooms, a bathroom, and a storage room. All the rooms in the loft conversion have Velux windows and other as well as other windows allowing for the maximum amount of light possible to enter each room.
Clever positioning of the new stairs allowed the layout to be maximised to its full potential.
House Extension Builders Ayr
Bespoke kitchen area and sunroom extension
Average extension cost
Extension cost depends on a lot of factors including the size and degree of house extension you want to build. Also, the quality of the build is a factor as building house extension with good quality products could be costly. Thus the cost of the kitchen extension, single-story extension, and double-story extension varies due to its different sizes and requirements. Another factor to look in to is the location of your house as a house extension near the city could cost you more.
Single-story extension: In the UK the average cost of single-story extension ranges from £1000 to £2000 per square meter, here the quality of the extension determines it’s proper cost. For an average extension of 5m square in both breadth and width, the cost could range from £32000 to £50000 depending on the location. If the house is located in the city, the cost would be of higher-end.
Double-story extension: A two-story extension will not cost you much more than a one-story extension as you are only adding walls and floor joists to it more than a single-story extension. The price will range from £1300 to £2500 per square meter depending on the quality.
Basement, porches, and garages: Basement extension typically costs much more than a single rear extension as it involves a lot of processes. This includes digging out the ground for the basement, setting up temporary support, waterproofing, lighting, plumbing, and ventilation. So the extension cost of the basement can be around £4000 per square meter including the VAT.
A front porch from the ground can cost around £1100 to £1200 per square meter. The cost can be lowered if there is already a porch structure and you only want to modify it. The average cost of a garage can range from £4000 to £20,000 including all the equipment cost and labor cost. Depending on the size and purpose of the garage extension, the price can vary.
Sunroom Home Extension in Ayr
Slide open doors allowing plenty of fresh air, perfect for warmer days
House extension F.A.Q
1) How long is it going to take?
One of the frequently asked questions about the house extension is just how long is it gonna take. This is a valid question as you need to give a good amount of your valuable time for a house extension. Not to mention how it can disrupt your day to day normal life. The installation time depends on the type and size of the extension you are getting while also including factors like interior designing and location.For a simple single-story extension that is rear-ended, it can be completed within 3 months. But for a double-story extension, it may take double the time of mostly 6 months. For a loft conversion, the time frame is relatively smaller, it can be completed in 6 weeks. This doesn’t include all the planning beforehand or the talks with the architecture, so that should be kept in mind.
2) Do I need to move out of the house?
With proper planning and discussion with the architecture and contractor, you avoid moving out of the house. You need to plan on how to avoid the dust and dirt from the work as best as you can.
3) Is planning permission required for a house extension?
Not all house extension requires planning permission, this is known as ’ permitted development rights’. Certain criteria have to be met for building extension without planning permission. This means that for single-story extension the maximum height should be 4 meters and it should not extend beyond 3 meters from the walls if the house, otherwise you are going to need planning permission.
- Ayrshire is a region of Scotland found on the west coast which has an overall population of approximately 367,000 people split almost evenly between North, South and East Ayrshire.
- Ayrshire is home to one of Scotland’s main international airports Glasgow Prestwick Airport or simply Prestwick Airport. Prestwick Airport is actually the largest Scottish airport in terms of the actual land area that it covers, however, it has far less footfall than the likes of Glasgow and Edinburgh airports. Ryanair uses Prestwick Airport as an operating base and it is almost exclusively Ryanair planes that fly from Prestwick. The airport is also the only part of the United Kingdom that Elvis ever set foot on when his plane stopped there to refuel in the 1960s.
- Ayrshire is the birthplace of hundreds of famous and iconic Scots over the years including the likes of Nobel Prize winner Sir Alexander Fleming, Liverpool Football Club’s legendary manager Bill Shankly and of course famous poet Robert “Rabbie” Burns whos cottage which is now a museum you can now visit in Alloway, South Ayrshire.
South Ayrshire House Extension Service Area
Areas Outside Of Ayr We Work In
We install house extensions across Scotland including the likes of Argyll & Bute, Ayrshire, Clackmannanshire, Dumfries and Galloway, Dundee, East Dunbartonshire, East Lothian, Edinburgh, Falkirk, Fife, Glasgow, Greenock & Inverclyde, North Lanarkshire, Paisley & Renfrewshire, Perth & Kinross, Stirling, The Borders, West Dunbartonshire and West Lothian.